Book Review“With the Quaid e Azam during his last days”


Muhammad Ali Azam
The book written by ILAHI BAKHSH is an account of Quad’s last days of sickness. The narrative incorporates the writer’s discussion with Jinnah, along with a record of the writer’s identification of the nature of illness and treatment.This monograph is very important as it reveals insight into the last two months of Quaid e Azam’s life while he battled with the sickness and lastly lost his life. The author was among some persons who were in contact with Quaid during his last days of life.This book likewise reveals insight into certain attributes of Jinnah, his disposition, different preferences, and inclinations, subsequently giving look into the character of this great man. The writer showed his affection for Jinnah and accounts about his decent nature who always greeted him with a smile. Whenever I requested him to do anything concerning his treatment, he always respected my advice.”Lt Col Ilahi Bakhsh was called at ziarat during the last days of July 1948 when the Quaid’s health suddenlytook a turn for the worse.Since the time he came to Ziarat, Col. Ilahi Bakhsh passed on nothing to be wanted in his treatment of Jinnah.The recovery that showed itself during the initial stages of his treatment didn’t persevere for a really long time. But when the medical experts were concerned and taking everything into account they concluded that they can not start treatment without X Rays and medical tests. Dr. Ilahi Bakhsh sent a message to Dr. Riaz Ali Shah and Dr. Alam, the X-ray expert of the Mayo Hospital, Lahore to come to Ziarat with the vital supplies and portable X-ray apparatus. Quaid was famous for his habit of punctuality,and he believed others should follow that propensity.On one occasion Quaid consented to see Dr. Ilahi Bakhsh at 8 AM. Dr. Ilahi Bakhsh needed to give an additional timeto Quaid to rest so he arrived at 8:35 am; Quaid said to Dr. Ilahi Bakhsh, ” But I told you to come at 8. I expect my doctors to be punctual.” Writer recall that when he visits the Azam for the first time at ziarat he observed that his room was fully covered with records and files however he was too weak to accomplish a lot of work. While the Quaid’s doctor were in the middle of treating him, Quaid generally needed to stay informed concerning the situationof the state, and his mind was distracted with the future of Kashmir.The writer remembers, “Once when his temperature was high and he was restless, Miss Jinnah had heard him something about Kashmir.Quaid was a man of standards. He never used the national exchequer for himself or permitted anybody to do that.Dr. Ilahi Bakhsh also praises the Quaid for his one-of-a-kind quality: accepting nothing from anyone without paying for it.”. Whenever the writer attempted to persuade Quaid to arrange a few woolen night wears for him, the Quaid said “Listen, Doctor, take my advice. Whenever you spend money on anything, on anything, think twice whether it is necessary, in fact, essential, or not.”When doctors noticed swelling on the legs of Quaid, they told him that they would shift him from High altitude ziarat to low height Quetta on August 13, 1948.The Quaid had a problem with the date; he told Col. Ilahi, “Have you thought about that the 14 th of August is the first Anniversary of Independence, and you believe I should continue on its eve? This is not possible the earliest would be the 15th”. After coming to Quetta when Doctor ilahi Bakhsh told Quaid e Azam that the height of ziarat was too much for him and it affect his health. His health stops improving after some improvement. The Quaid e Azam smiled and replied “Yes, I am glad you have brought me here. I was caught in a trap at Ziarat.” On the morning of August 16th, Quaid’s doctor examined his x-ray and blood reports. The X-ray report showed improvement in Quaid e Azam, the hemoglobin and red blood cell has increased by 20 percent, the white blood cell are fallen to the normal limit, and the sedimentation rate had improved by 50 percent. On the same evening, the Quaid e Azam was informed that his X-ray reports showed an improvement of 40 percent in the condition of his lungs. The Quaid asked, “How long will it take it to be 100 percent?” Ilahi Bakhsh writes this was an embarrassing question as far as we might be concerneditwould be exceptionally difficult for him to be totally restored. Quaid e Azam lost his weight and also developed an infection. Specialists informed Miss Fatima Jinnah that except if a wonder occurred; there was no way that the Quaid-I-Azam would survive for more than a day or two. They informed officials to have an ambulance and nurse ready at Karachi airport and was shifted to Karachi by Plane. Dr. Ilahi Bakhsh relates that the plane arrived at the Karachi Aerodrome at 4:15 pm and that there was an ambulance holding back to move the Quaid, however, there was no nurse present.Reviewing the appearance in Karachi, the writer expresses, “It was fairly warm Karachi yet not comfortable as there was a strong breeze.. Miss Jinnah and the nurse from Quetta sat in the ambulance, while the Military Secretary, Dr. Mistry, and I continued in the Governor General’s Cadillac.The gear and the workers were in the truck behind us. We moved from Aerodrome to the Governor-General’s House, a distance of around 9 to 10 miles, at an extremely sluggish speed. We had hardly gone four miles when the ambulance stopped.Considering what had occurred, I got out and observed that there had been a breakdown due to engine trouble.The driver guaranteed us that he would manage to repair it soon, yet tinkered with the motor for around twenty minutes, and was not able to start it. Miss Jinnah asked Military Secretary to get another ambulance.It was extremely harsh in the ambulance, and the Quaid-I-Azam was sweating regardless of kept fanning by the medical attendant and the workers… his garments were wet with sweat and with a genuinely impressive breeze blowing there was a risk of exposure. I analyzed him and was alarmed to observe his heartbeat becoming weak and irregular. I continued to look distractedly towards the town, yet there was no indication of an ambulance. Many trucks and transports were missing and down, yet not a single one of them could be securely utilized. After some time the new ambulance arrived and we quickly shifted Quaid eAzam to the new ambulance and continued our journey.we arrived at our destination at 6:10 pm, right around two hours after we had landed.I was with the Quaid-I-Azam at 9:15, and on analyzing him tracked down the beat somewhat unpredictable, and there was cold sweat with cold extremities.I rushed to provide him with an injectionof a heart tonic and requested a circulatory energizer to be given by mouth however he was unable to swallow… after another injection… I expressed consoling to the Quaid-I-Azam, ‘Sir, we have given you an injection to strengthen you, and it will have an impact.God willing, you will live.’ The Quaid-I-Azam shook his head and said faintly, ‘No, I am not.’ These were the final words he addressed anyone before he died.”The book envisages the writer’s feeling of appreciation for serving the Jinnah: “I… expressed gratitude toward Allah for having picked me to serve the Father of the Nation during the last days of his life. He preferred Pakistan over his illness. From passing of Quaid-I Azam to till now, nobody pioneer conceived like he did.We ought to likewise be genuine and true for Pakistan like Quaid-I-Azam even if we are living in any country since we are Pakistani.