PESHAWAR: 8 people including children embraced martyrdom while over 120 others were critically injured as a massive explosion hit seminary in Peshawar’s Dir Colony on early Tuesday.
According to media reports the blast occurred in the main hall after an unidentified man took a bag containing five to six kilograms of explosives inside the seminary. The nature of the blast is yet to be ascertained.
Peshawar Chief Capital Police Officer (CCPO) Mohammad Ali Gandapur also confirmed the blast and said two teachers were among the wounded.
No threat has been received regarding blast on the seminary. The investigation of the explosion is underway after collection of evidence from the scene, he told.
There were nearly 1,000 children in the seminary at the time of the blast. Majority of the victims are children and instructors as the blast took place during classes at the religious schoo
A rescue operation has been launched to shift the affectees to the nearby hospitals for medical assistance. The security personnel told that more casualties are feared as some of the victims are in critical condition.
Emergemcy has been declared in Peshawar hospitals after the blast. Video of this blast has come to open. The video has gone viral on social media.
Prime Minister Imran Khan has strongly condemned the blast in Peshawar.
In a statement, he expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives in the incident and prayed for early recovery of the injured.
He prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured. “I want to assure my nation we will ensure the terrorists responsible for this cowardly barbaric attack are brought to justice asap.”
Federal Information Minister Shibli Faraz also condemned the attack and promised to “bury those with nefarious intentions to destablise the country”.
Interior miniser Ejaz Shah has also condemned the blast.
“My heart is heavy thinking of the innocent children and their parents,” said former premier Nawaz Sharif.
Terming it a “heartbreaking incident”, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) vice-president Maryam Nawaz condoled with the victims and their families.
“Very sorry to hear about the blast & casualties in Peshawar,” wrote PML-N leader Ahsan Iqbal. “Terrorists, who had been defeated, are again hitting us because Imran Khan has pitched security apparatus against the opposition instead of terrorists.”
“National Action Plan has been forgotten. Ministry of Interior is an extension of NAB.”
“Once again children are targeted,” wrote Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry. “In this war, soldiers, politicians scholars, lawyers, doctors and people from all walks of life have sacrificed their blood.”
Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar also condemned the incident.
Chief Minister (CM) KP Mehmood Khan has directed police to conduct probe into seminary blast forthwith.
Codnemning the blast in madrissah he said targetting the students is highly condemnable and brute act. Those found behind this blast will be brought to justice.
KP government has termed this incident as the second major tragedy after Peshawar Public school tragedy.
Talking to media men KP Minister Shaukat Yousufzai said today’s incident is second bigger tragedy after public school tragedy. The terrorists see soft targets to materialize their nefarious designs. Children and madrissahs were soft targets of the terrorists because the terrorists have no religion. We strongly condemn this blast.
PML-N leader Maryam Nawaz while condemning the blast has said Peshawar madrissah blast is heart wrenching incident. Particularly the loss of life of the children has grieved me.